(keitai-l) Re: old news, non-news, and pretty weird too

From: Andrea <anima_at_gmx.de>
Date: 02/17/02
Hi,

> [John Strand]
> "Japanese mobile-phone users don't have access to
> text-messaging technology, so mobile phone users have
> embraced I-Mode to allow them to surf the mobile
> Internet for their e-mail," he said.

One reason for the rapid take off of mobile email in Japan was the very
fact that text messaging pagers had been a big success before already.
The already accustomed kids just switched from pagers to cell phones
when cell phone based messaging became available. That was even before
i-mode started in 1999. In fact, J-Phone was the first company to
successfully introduce cell phone based short messaging (and later
email) in Japan.

> Gee, I hope those Japanese mobile phone users can find
> their mail, 'surfing the mobile Internet'.  Google's
> pretty good these days, but still....

ROFL :-)

Michael, I love your comments!

> Buy a guy a drink, get some "consulting."  I love it as
> a business model, but haven't figured out where the
> money is.

The sad thing is that some companies in Europe will like those i-mode
bashing arguments all too much. Its easier to reject another model as
irrelevant, than to take the time to think it over and incorporate what
is good about it.

Andrea