(keitai-l) Re: Communication is a beast

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/04/02
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:

>http://www.imodegirls.nl/
>
>is precisely the kind of imode site I would expect to find.
>In Japan, too.

The country is knee deep in everything from kiddy porn through to unko
play (or it was last time I looked). Anyone wanting such pics on their
phone can email them to themselves in but a moment.... I-mode sites such
as
>http://www.imodegirls.nl/
 are simply redundant.

>Sites such as these have been some of the prime movers
>(ouch) on the internet.

.... but keitai provide a micro-area of privacy in a public place. Enough
to send a smutty e-mail to a boy/girlfriend, but not private enough to
respond to porn as that Grand Old Man of English Poetry Phillip Larkin
said it should be responded to ("to wank at or on").

People often comment on this entirely ignoring the fact that the primary
purpose of pornography is masturbation. (I know, I know, you are trying to
improve your Japanese.)  Micro-privacy just ain't good enough for that
(without serious risk of arrest, at least. And yes, I can think of lots of
"micro" jokes too - let's not go there shall we?). Sure, smutty
screensavers, ring-tones of orgasms, that kind of cheesecake will make
money - but not real porn.

And if one IS is a private place, the net, or a wireless laptop is a more
likely to be available.

Nick

(Ah - dear Phillip Larkin. He was Chief Librarian of Hull University,
turned down the Poet Laureateship ("official poet") and had what was said
to be one of the largest private collections of pornography in the north
of England.... )