(keitai-l) Re: Bob Cringely - a perfect hack?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/12/02
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>Like Spencer F. Katt or Shark Tank, Cringely is an edited column, an
>amalgam of folks using the column to publish the slightly scurrilous
>rumours they can't actually pin down - because they don't have time
>or.... don't have all the facts in their possession!

As I recollect, there are two "Robert X Cringelys". One is a column on the
back of Infoworld which is as you say. The other, this one, is a real
person (who used to write the column on the back of Infoworld). He got
into a lot of trouble a few years ago about precisely whether he had a
Ph.d (or some such).

Interview here:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/09/15/0155218&mode=flat

and here
http://www.pbs.org/nerds/qa1.html

For me "existence" has always been the least interesting property of a
journalist, so I care not either way. In the end the editor carries the
can. And I am all for publishing scurrilous rumours - as long as they are
labeled clearly as such.

Nick