(keitai-l) Re: lust

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/12/02
On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, dc wrote:

> Clie: what's the network connectivity? Just hotsync still? The days of
> isolated PDAs seems numbered...

Yeah.

> I wonder if the memory stick slot can be used for any other types of
> adapters? The WinCE devices really rock for wireless connectivity (in japan
> at least) with the built in CF slot for your Air H" card...

Well, you can get Palm devices with a CF slot, too. The TRG Pro is
basically a Palm IIIx with a few extra features and a CF slot. (I
happen to have a Japanese TRG Pro for sale or trade if anyone is
interested.)

I'm not sure how useful wireless modems are on Palm devices, because
they work on a different time scale. An Air-H" card or other device
takes about 30 seconds to connect before you can use it. This may
be fine on a WinCE device where you're used to waiting ages for
everything anyway (:-)), but when it comes just to checking
information, Palm users typically have the task accomplished and
the Palm put away in well under 30 seconds. In New York I used a
wireless modem with my Palm for a little while, but quickly gave
it up because the wait just wasn't worth it.

The only other Memory Stick device I can think of off-hand is a
camera, which I happen to have for my Clie. The picture quality,
at least as displayed on the Clie itself, is pretty darn poor, so
it's basically just a small amusement.

cjs