(keitai-l) Re: Nokia-Germany CEO interview

From: <drew.freyman_at_nokia.com>
Date: 03/15/02
The iMode/WAP battles are done.  The technologies will either merge or =
come to resemble each other in functionality.

The larger issues are:
1.   What kind of services will end users pay for?
2.   How much money will it require to start these services?  This =
includes the cost of content creation, network provisioning, but also =
terminal functionality.
3.   What will be the revenue and margins for these services?

It seesm that European carriers have a very high revenue mobile data =
business in SMS--I believe it is much larger than Japan's mobile data =
revenues.   I also believe the margins are much higher, because cost of =
the terminal and network to provide these services are much more =
inexpensive than the ones used for something like iMode.  It will be =
difficult for leading European carriers to invest huge amounts of money =
(network costs or subsidies for expensive terminals) for a lower margin =
business.  The point of inflexion will probably be when the cost of =
these new services is significantly reduced.  Any ideas when that might =
be?