(keitai-l) Re: European i-mode

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/21/02
On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, dc wrote:

> It's interesting how they left out japanese font support on the Euro
> models - so all the japanese i-mode sites can't be viewed by roamers :(

Shift_JIS and ISO-8859-1 are not compatable; if they'd kept the
Japanese, all those nice squiggly bits near letters that those
silly Europeans are fond of would turn into nasty little Japanese
messes.

(I know, kind of emotionally overloaded terminology. But hey, now
that Michael's off the list we seem to be getting so many fewer
good flame wars lately....)

Anyway, basically, you get Japanese or European, but not both.
Which is a shame, really; it would have been nice if they'd taken
this as the opportunity to introduce character set specification
into i-mode pages.

cjs