(keitai-l) Re: AW: Re: European i-mode

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/22/02
On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Christian Vollmann wrote:

>> >as for pricing: to become an i-mode user you need to do
>> >a voice contract for 24 months with eplus....
>
> I consider myself to belong to the target group of E-Plus for the i-mode
> service (student, tech-loving, young...) but I have to say that the pricing is
> just inappropriately high! Especially the price for the handset (for 249
> Euros, I get a very nice phone when I sign a 2 year contract).

I understand your sentiment perfectly, and I too think that the
pricing is ridiculous. Given the way rates tend to precipitiously
plunge in the cell phone world, I assidiously avoid contracts longer
than one year, and many of the early adopters are doubtless going
to want to upgrade their phone sooner than two years from now, when
newer and better models come out. To me, upgrading every year seems
right, and I don't really mind paying a couple of hundred dollars
for a handset if it's giving me lots of improved capabilities.

What are they trying to do? Slow take-up enough to give the WAP
3.0 guys a chance to catch up?

cjs