(keitai-l) Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Control over i-mode

From: <d.groten_at_planet.nl>
Date: 03/25/02
Hi,
I would like to clarify a few points here, as it seems there are some misunderstandings concerning markup languages in i-mode and WAP:

1. i-mode compatible HTML (short: iHTML) as DoCoMo call it, is a subset of HTML for i-mode. It used to be called cHTML, but since cHTML is  a W3C standard that is not fully identical to i-mode compatible HTML, DoCoMo is officially not using the name cHTML anymore.

iHTML is also the markup language supported by i-mode phones in Europe.

2. WAP 2.0 supports XHTMLMP (XHTML Mobile Profile) as its markup language for developing content. XHTMLMP is a superset of XHTML Basic, i.e. it includes all XHTML Basic modules plus some additionals XHTML 1.0 tags.

WAP 2.0 can supply backward compatibility with WML 1.3 in either of 2 ways:
- With a dual browser supporting both WML 1.3 and XHTMLMP
- With a single browser supporting WML 2.0. WML 2.0 combines XHTMLMP and WML1.3 tags in a 'wml' namespace so that WML1.3 content can be easily converted to WML 2.0. WML 2.0 SHOULD NOT be used by application developers!!! Write your applications in XHTMLMP only!

3. Since XHTMLMP is strictly written conforming to the XML rules, do not expect XHTMLMP browsers to be able to read iHTML markup. Strict XHTMLMP browsers will parse the content according to the XHTMLMP DTD and reject any non-complying documents (such as missing </p>). Some vendors may choose to support non-strict HTML, like Microsoft and Netscape started to do on the Internet, but this makes the implementation of the parser more complex. So for mobile devices, there will be strict browsers out there asking a bit more self-discipline from developers.

Hope this helps to clarify some of the misunderstandings here.

Dirk.
PS. I am an active member of the WAP Forum and work for KPN Mobile.
Dirk Groten
d.groten@planet.nl