(keitai-l) Re: m-mode

From: Hans de Graaff <hans_at_degraaff.org>
Date: 03/25/02

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Mika Tuupola wrote:

> 	"AT&T Wireless Servi'ces Inc will launch a wireless data
> 	service based on NTT DoCoMo Inc's wildly popular i-mode in
> 	April, company spokespeople told ComputerWire yesterday. To
> 	be branded m-mode, the service will be somewhat different to
> 	its Japanese counterpart, tailored to US market demands and
> 	the available technology."
>=20
> 	http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2002/03/22/att_will.html

The article mentions that AT&T will use WAP initially, and that a
business-oriented portal will be first. I wonder how they will get the
right user experience with WAP (especially with the current phones
available), and why they are not moving toward the consumer market
first.

It's also mentioned that some types of content are not being
considered, e.g. cartoons, because they would not appeal to an
American public. That's what was being said of Europe as well, but
Hein de Kort is already doing well.

More importantly, does this mean AT&T is actively making selections
for their portal based on type of content? Isn't it up to content
providers to decide if they can or can't make money with it?

Hans

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--