(keitai-l) Re: SMS in US

From: Ray Tanaka <ray_at_skygo.com>
Date: 04/11/02
I wouldn't say it has taken off but there is definitely a push for it here
in the US over the last 6 months or so. As you may already know, WAP has
turned out to be quite a flop so it seems carriers are looking at SMS
(combined with the ability to send graphics and ringtones via SMS) to help
drive up ARPU.

I think the fact that carriers are starting to allow intercarrier messaging
is further proof of this. Also, several carriers have been airing TV
comercials to promote SMS usage.

Sorry, I'm sort of in a rush right now... but here are some (fairly) recent
articles with regards to intercarrier SMS.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020409/92682_1.html
http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2001/11/29/att_wireless.html

My guess (although I am far from an expert) is that you'll see a spike in
SMS traffic in the US this year.

- Ray