(keitai-l) Re: German i-mode user numbers

From: Oliver Wittchow <ow_at_nanoloop.com>
Date: 04/29/02
"dc" wrote:

> what "stupid elephant"? are ePlus using a dumb mascot character to promote
> it there? german creativity is as good as english cooking (i'm english btw).

yes, the elephant seems to be the mascot but there's a dog and a gorilla
too.
though they also seemed typical german to me, i just read on the e-plus
customers magazine that they were created by jim henson studios, usa
(inventor
of muppets in sesame street).

the muppets appear in tv ads and on e-plus' site:
www.eplus-imode.de

"Gary James" wrote:

> Interesting point that jamba and Yamaha are the most popular i-mode sites in
> germany.  How do you know?  Is it just from word of mouth or is there some
> kind of official data source?

i thought i read it on a japanese zdnet article but i got it wrong. it
was
just saying that jamba is a popular service. i'm sorry for that. no
official
data but just a misunderstanding.

Petri Ojala wrote:

> Without some technical gimmics the introduction of european i-mode would be
> even more difficult.

wide parts of german public are extremely sceptic about mobile
multimedia
- as a result of WAP-failure, UMTS-hype and the dirty SMS-subculture we
have
here.
"mobile multimedia" is closely associated with "rip off" and therefore a
central
part of i-mode marketing should be to distinguish it from all the crap
which
is dominating the market now.

of course gimmicks are important, i'd just not present them as key
features.

cheers

oliver