(keitai-l) german eplus i-mode -> hidden operator power!

From: Jan Michael Hess <jansan_at_mobileeconomy.de>
Date: 05/03/02
Michael Sydenham writes:
> A DoCoMo guy said publically that the 10k size was selected based on the
> belief that users wouldn't want to wait more than 10s for a Java download.
>
> This idea seems consistent with the choice of 30k limit for FOMA (28kbps I
> believe).

I would like to add a challenging comment here:

Don't believe everything press speakers tell us. Sometimes the real
reasons are different. Operators who are customer oriented and care
a lot about their customers usually don't exist. Even Docomo is not
among them.

Docomo and all the other operators look very much after maximising ARPU
( = extracting the most money from the users!) and maximising their distribution
power ( = operators might not like big MIDlets with a lot of functionality!).
E.g. a client-server instant messaging app with Java clients over GPRS might
be able to route around operator gateways, which means this service will not be
billable by the operator but rather offered as a free service and thus
killing the SMS cash cow over time.

I believe if the handset has enough memory and users have enough patience than
operators should not limit MIDlet sizes. If they do it they usually follow
a hidden policy.

Jan.

Jan Michael Hess
CEO, Mobile Economy | www.mobileeconomy.de
Editor-in-Chief, mobiliser.org | www.mobiliser.org

ph: +49.30.30 10 74 88 | m: +49.172.32 79 555
e: jansan@mobileeconomy.de | jansan@mobiliser.org
a: Mobile Economy GmbH & mobiliser.org
   Ahornallee 20, D-14050 Berlin, Germany