(keitai-l) Re: i-mode services a hit with Europeans

From: Keitaigirl <anima_at_gmx.de>
Date: 05/14/02
Hi,

> > Now, here's a well-written article on the state of euro i-mode...
(obs.
> > irony) Apparently, euro i-mode is a success because 80% of i-mode's
> > revenue comes from...mobile data!
> <snip>
>
> I think what the writer actually means is that 80% of the revenue from
> mobile data comes from i-mode.  The first sentence seems to have been
> moved and edited carelessly, because not only is it unclear, but it
ends
> with 'according to a source close to the company', without having
> specified a company.

I also had to read this first sentence several times, but the intended
meaning becomes clear when you read the next parts of the article.

So, IMHO it means that 80% of the total ARPU of i-mode phones (= voice
plus data) comes from i-mode (=data), leaving only 20% for voice ARPU.
The article goes on stating this as a success of i-mode, as the
percentage of data revenue is normally MUCH smaller in Europe.

Unfortunately, the article does not say how high the APRU really is,
which would allow for a better comparison between KPN (I guess that is
the company they are talking about) and other non i-mode operators.
However, the fact that i-mode accounts for 80% of the total ARPU of the
service provider is interesting indeed.

Andrea