(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V2 #109

From: colin mummery <hbg_colin_at_yahoo.se>
Date: 05/25/02
I wrote an icon editor called "IconPainter" that
creates the non-LZW GIF's described (it's on my
website at www.cellspark.com ). The only problem is I
couldn't get the GIF coder I wrote to work with more
than 128 colors. I'm not sure if non-LZW is possible
with more than 128.

I disagree with the the assertion that there is no
non-LZW GIF. What you do is have an empty dictionary
when you code so the bytes are essentially run length
encoded since there is no substitution of symbols
going on. The LZW algorithm isn't used but the decoder
doesn't care. Since no dictionary is created it just
outputs each byte as it comes to it as is. The whole
symbol substitution process that is the core of LZW is
bypassed. For small GIF's like those found on i-mode
phones the size penalty is suprisingly small.

Luckily Unisys's patent expires next year so we won't
have to worry about it much longer. (can I also add
that I think LZW is one of the most elegant algorithms
I've ever come across).

Regards Colin Mummery
www.cellspark.com

 --- keitai-l@appelsiini.net skrev: > keitai-l Digest