(keitai-l) Re: How mature is the mobile enterprise segment in Japan

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 05/28/02
>For example; I think, sending maps/navigation information as email
>attachments by Toshiba & Matsushita is a brilliant idea. They can
>then/now, easily scale the functions into more complex calculator
>applications for their registered users by which users can calculate >the
>shortest destination route - minimum time - lowest cost & the best >train
>at any time of the day. This can then be followed by the >destination area
>map. The question is, are they pursuing this ...

Sure, these are the kind of applications with wide appeal that the Japanese
are great at, but I wouldn't really call these enterprise apps. Mobile
enterprise, and I'm thinking Mobile Office, ERP, CRM, Supplychain, Workforce
Management etc.

>Financials, Automobile, Navigation services, Pharmaceuticals can be a
>great place to begin with ... Aligning with IBM,s and SAP's might not
>help them much. Rather if they focus on aligning / co-hosting ASP >models
>of individual wireless applications developed by small local and
>regional developers -- that could make the 'dent in the wall'.

There's plenty of SAP, Oracle and IBM in these sectors Japan too, and among
larger corporates, where the money is, they would want to extend these
applications rather than new apps developed by smaller developers. And did
somebody say Microsoft..?

However, I'm sure there is potential for smaller developers to tailor
solutions to small to medium size companies, who would never buy a SAP ERP,
but still have a mobile workforce who need access to company data. But I
don't see DoCoMo wasting its salesforce on this segment, so the developers
might have a hard time selling their solutions.

Are any of the developers on this list doing anything interesting in the
mobile enterprise space? You may well have experiences that completely
contradict my assessment of the situation...

Cheers,
Daniel Helmer