(keitai-l) Re: 504 + camera?

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 05/30/02
greetings all,

this is an interesting topic.

about i-shot, the reason why there hasn't been a similar service
like Sha-Mail for so long is because DoCoMo cannot do it.

with i-mode mail, you send the whole message in the URL format,
and that's why it's more expensive sending out messages than
receiving.  DoCoMo/NEC never dreamed they would have to send
photos coded in URL.  their e-mail centers also have serious
problems to store and forward large messages.

my understanding is that this i-shot has to be transmitted over
a totally new system, as i-mode itself will be replaced one day,
I don't know the details.

about J-Phone and EZweb messaging systems, they are similar to
MMS in that they use standard SMTP and storage, with adapted
interface to PLMN networks: SMS push followed by data pulling.
(DoCoMo doesn't have SMS for PDC.)

I like J-Phone's service that the notification, 3 SMS messages,
contains 300 bytes text, which is free, and often you don't have
to pull the message body, especially when it's a junk mail.

subscribers may access to totally different mail servers by
setting the "center numbers" on the handset.  for example, most
J-Phone users use the e-mail server developed by Mitsui, but
PDC-P subscribers may access Openwave's mail server.  au/KDDI
uses Sun's iPlanet.

cheers,
  Ken