(keitai-l) Shift_JIS question

From: Erick Papadakis <erick_papadakis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 05/30/02
sorry if this is horribly OT but this list is full of
so many super brains that i cannot think of a better
place to ask. i just want to confirm this about
japanese language support in my application:

i am building a module which will allow users to merge
data from an ASCII source and a SHIFT-JIS source. does
it make logical sense to have all of the data files
(such as ASCII and Shift-JIS) in the same encoding
(SHIFT-JIS) to allow the different data
sources to be joined, compared, and output? i am
wondering whether i need a separate encoding setting
for ASCII files. in other words, is ASCII a subset of
SHIFT-JIS, or vice versa?

i searched a little on google but here is just a
sample of info that absolutely baffles me:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/i18n-sig/2002-March/001379.html

help!

thanks/erick