(keitai-l) Mobile firms linked to set standards

From: Shiladitya 'Sunny' Ghosh <sunny_at_netgalactic.com>
Date: 06/12/02
Hi friends,

Greetings. Just came across this interesting news-link in Boston Globe
(Mobile firms link to set standards, boost sales Nearly 200 firms form
alliance By Ben Klayman, Reuters, 6/12/2002 -
http://digitalmass.boston.com/news/2002/06/12/wireless_alliance.html)
Though, I firmly believe that the initiative cannot generate surprises
overnight, but surely it's a great move. But, I am a little concerned over
the future of Java largely.

With the first ever JavaOne conference inaugural event at the Yokohama
Center last year, SUN has been strongly betting over the success of Java &
their lead over the next generation mobile segment in Japan. With this
alliance between Nokia - Microsoft - Motorola - Texas Instruments - IBM -
Lucent - Qualcomm - NTT DoCoMo & Ericsson --- will java be able to hold it's
importance in the global mobile market?
Some debate, views in this direction may help.

Regards,

Sunny