(keitai-l) Re: [link] wlan/plan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/14/02
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> [Germany vs. Japan comparison deleted.]

I suppose I don't find this argument all that convincing because
for the past four years or so, the Japanese phones have been far
preferable to the German ones, and that situation does not appear
to be about to change any time soon.

One can blah blah blah about theory of competition and all of that,
but what it comes down to in the end are some simple facts:

    1. My phone is smaller, lighter, far more powerful, and has a
    longer lasting battery than any phone you can get in Germany.

    2. I can browse the web on my phone, with graphics (in colour
    even!), and use this capability to do useful stuff.

    3. From my phone, I can exchange e-mail with anyone in the
    world with a standard e-mail account, for this I pay about 1/10
    what a German user pays to send an SMS message.

Regardless of the techniques used to get there, it's pretty clear
to me which consumers are the winners here.

cjs