(keitai-l) Re: thanks to Keitai-L

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 06/16/02
On Sunday, June 16, 2002, at 07:00 , Nick May wrote:

>> I have been told by several Japanese people that it's prononced
>> "edge."
>
> It is NOW - 'cuz they have an American voice advertising it, and most
> native English speakers can't handle the correct pronunciation. But most
> Japanese I know have had to learn the "new" pronunciation and certainly
> do
> NOT render it as "edge" when they speak Japanese. There is no sound in
> Japanese that maps exactly to "Edge".
>
> Sad the way the Japanese sell their coollest tech to themselves in a
> yank
> accent.
>
> Back when it was "Feel H", "edge" was no-where to be heard.

Maybe someone from the anti-fun league (ambassador of the Holy See
perhaps?) complained to the Japanese government or to the advertising
association ;-)

Happened before - remember the "Turkish Baths" ? Back then the Turkish
government complained and so they are now called "Health Clubs" ;-)

In any event, I would agree with Nick that it is rather obvious that
there was an intent to let the advertising lead to subtle conclusions.
How likely could "Feel" and "H" possibly show up in the same slogan
accidentally ?

regards
benjamin