(keitai-l) Re: [link] wlan/plan

From: Daisy W <daisy-w_at_SoftHome.net>
Date: 06/16/02
> On Sunday, June 16, 2002, at 02:13 , Curt Sampson wrote:
>
> Just for fun, ask any Japanese you meet within the next month or so
>
> - If they could choose between a DoCoMo handset with all the features
> they are known for or a PHS handset with all the limits they are known
> for plus its a little more bulky (say 25 grams), but the PHS handset
> could still be used overseas.

Excuse me, I hope I am not interrupting here...please forgive me if I do. I
am new in this Mailing List, but I am very happy to read all the messages as
they really teach me a lot of things about keitai. Thank you very much.

I am a Japanese, and I just upgraded to Docomo D5041 yesterday, after having
a hard time choosing among the various types of keitai. I am in my mid
twenties, and have no IT experience nor know anything much about keitai, but
reading Mr. Benjamin's Kowarsch's message, I feel tempted to write something
just to share. It is true that with age,  Japanese do not care much about
those toy-like functions. I still care a bit though, but not too much, as I
scrapped the idea of getting a FOMA and also of getting a Sha-mail. I don't
need to see the face of the people I am talking to, and besides, unless they
also use a FOMA, they can't see me. I don't need a Sha-mail either. If I
want to take a picture, I would prefer to use my real camera. I can still
send the pictures via my computer, and in much better quality too. And yes I
would prefer to have a keitai that can be used anywhere in the world easily,
as I like to travel in summer. If it can also browse the internet easily, it
would be even better. Right now we can just rent a phone at Narita when
going abroad, and we don't have to change our phone number. The price is
about 6000 yen per month. We return the rented keitai at Narita too when we
return to Japan.
My choice of D5041 is because it has a very clear picture (260.000 colors),
a diary/scheduler to help me organize, and it provides a 2Mb space for
mails, application softwares and melodies. If icould also work overseas, it
would be perfect....

When I asked my Dad's opinion (also a Japanese), he replied that what he
needs is just a simple keitai which works well (clear sound, good reception)
in any condition, and he mentioned such conditions as when being underground
in subways, being in places surrounded by tall buildings, in bad weather,
etc. He does not care about all those toys.
When I was at the Docomo shop, a man in his mid fifties was there too buying
a keitai because he said he lost his, and when he was asked what he wanted,
he said as long as the connection is fast, anything is okay. He ended up
buying a 503 which is at discount. From the way he dressed (wearing a pair
of suits), he looks like a serious business man. Some young girls and boys
were in the shop too, and one of the girl got very excited when she saw the
new N504s series with all the i-appli games, and said she wanted one, only
to be reproached by one of the boys who said it was too expensive....

Best regards,
daisy