(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone & doing things right

From: Jon C Howes <jchowes_at_neuw.co.uk>
Date: 06/17/02
Hi folks ... this time I cannot resist replying...

Semi relevant:
    NEuW has been developing GSM phones (and other electronics
and services/applications in Japan) since 1988...

The Vodafone experience:
 > i agree with you though, vodafone hasn't come up with anything special
>Vodaphone knows a hell of a lot more about marketing than ...

Recently Vodafone has forced a special feature on all our new
GSM phones n the UK: We switch them on and get a >2 second
advert "How are you?" every time - that cannot be removed.

Tiny bit of SIM card capability... used to irritate the hell
out of GSM customers.

Also:
         TV Adverts that are stylish but do not give any reason
for, or explanation why, use of GPRS would help in your life
or business (unable to appeal to developers of GPRS systems!?
... seems unlikely that other consumers understand the need to
subscribe!).

Vodafone and others in Europe are struggling desperately to
move beyond the accidental success of SMS.
         Seems very unlikely that they can claim the crown of
         best-marketeers-in-the-world

Regards

Jon

Jon C Howes                                  Tel: +44 (0) 1457 820326
NEuW Limited                                 Fax: +44 (0) 1457 820304
                                              Mobile: +44 (0) 7798 674230
PO Box 8, 1 Church Meadow,                   Email: jchowes@neuw.co.uk
Greenfield, Oldham, OL3 7LZ, United Kingdom  Web: http://www.neuw.co.uk
--------------- Excellence in electronic systems design ----------------