(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/18/02
hi Benjamin,

(1)
think there were lot of discussions last year organized by
the MPT in e-Japan framework, and there was an ITU meeting on
the topic, too.  they were also quite aggressive with NP, but
I have no update recently, will be delayed?

found no result from google, and MPT disappeared from the net
(www.mpt.go.jp), maybe they changed name to fifaworldcup.

http://lists.bnl.gov/pipermail/henp-net-l/2002-February/000092.html
"e-Japan ... the project is about to seamlessly integrate various
wireless access systems for practical use by 2005"

a Japanese article with not much info can be found at:
http://www.sharp.co.jp/corporate/rd/journal-81/pdf/81-02.pdf
<Mobile Communication System Evolution in Digital Mobile Radio>

it says "the radio systems interoperate via (core) networks, and
terminals can be used without awareness of specific (radio) systems"

please tell me when you find more details

(2)
on i-mode, I was involved in the first i-mode implementation
through out 1998.  it's still hard for me to believe it worked.
I'd say I feel more shame than proud that I was one of them.

but, I'd like to show my respect to Japanese that they can make
the business running so well with technology as shite as i-mode.
no excuse of "immature market", Japanese are way better than you
and me.  never in technology though, but who cares if technology
as good as WAP, way better than i-mode, can't make money.