(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems (was something about WLAN)

From: Hans de Graaff <hans_at_degraaff.org>
Date: 06/19/02

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> On the other hand, in the situation now, there is no operational
> i-mode other than for PDC and this means customisation if i-mode was
> to be implemented anywhere else. Customisation is - to say the least
> - less smooth a process than the roll-out of an already adapted
> solution.

While I agree with the comment about the customization process, i-mode
is available on an operational level in Taiwan and Europe on
GSM/GPRS. I don't know subscriber numbers for Taiwan, but in Europe
50.000 people are using i-mode and that number is growing steadily.

> Even features that may seem inferior to you like SMS can from a
> different perspective have a superior usefulness. For example, the
> fact that SMS has QoS, while email has not. When you send someone an
> SMS you will get a notification telling you if the message has been
> received or if it has failed. In business this can be paramount and
> for many business GSM users it is If someone is in meetings all day
> and you can't seem to get hold of them, you can send them an SMS and
> wait. The moment they get out of their meeting and switch their
> phone back on, they will receive the SMS and you get a confirmation,
> so you know that now is the window you have been trying to find all
> day - now is the time to call the other party.

This is not always true. SMS messages get lost or not delivered as
well. The QoS may be better than with i-mode mail but there are no
real guarantees as far as I can tell. I've also never received
confirmation of SMS messages being sent. Perhaps this is a network
configuration setting, but as a user I would feel quite uncomfortable
knowing that someone could see when I receive my messages.

Hans

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--