(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems (was something about WLAN)

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/20/02
hi Hans

>This is not always true. SMS messages get lost or not delivered as well.
>The QoS may be better than with i-mode mail but there are no real
>guarantees as far as I can tell. I've also never received confirmation of
>SMS messages being sent. Perhaps this is a network configuration setting,
>but as a user I would feel quite uncomfortable knowing that someone could
>see when I receive my messages.

in DoCoMo PDC network about 30% of all the messages, i-mode mail
or short-mail alike, are failed to deliver, and the subscribers
have to check/pull the messages regularly.  this is especially
frustrating because the majority of the wireless messages need
instant response (IM).

in J-Phone, over 98% of the messages are reliably delivered at
the earliest opportunity, and the rest 2% may be because the user
is traveling abroad or the handset is dropped into toilet, etc.

still use i-mode?

almost everything in EZweb/J-Sky are by far better than i-mode,
which, as a technology, has no chance to compete with the WAP.
(please tell me anything i-mode can do that EZweb/J-Sky can't.)

I studied the data services in Japan and convinced that the only
thing DoCoMo has is the market share (and brand).

# DoCoMo
- they have the highest cost
- they have the poorest technology
- they provide the worst service (best coverage)

# but
- they make most money (ARPU, EBITDA)

# because
- they have more customers from the high segments
- their network value is 10-20 times bigger than the rivals and
- the #1 share holder is the default target of content providers
- they are protect by the lack of MNP/WNP

cheers,

Ken