(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/20/02
>SMS's are always considered to be in transient storage for an undisclosed
>length of time, hence they can not be guaranteed to be delivered.

not transient, but secured persistent storage.

SMSC is a network node with hard states, which means loss of
the in-flight message results failure of the transmission
because the sender already got an "okay" response and will
never mind retransmission (cf. end-to-end TCP).

so the transient storage is not a good design.

a message is better stored on the hard drives of two nodes,
and for some customers, be copied to a remote site for
disaster recovery.  Logica SMSC is now almost as reliable
as a switch (not LGE and Huawei MSCs which crush as often
as NT servers ... not a compliment to Microsoft).

I heard some SMSC designs in Asia: NEC, Fujitsu, LGE, Locus,
Feelingk, Huawei, etc.  some claim quite good performance but
they will cost any operator dear in terms of the core network
load, QoS, and customer satisfaction.

these SMSCs are no rival what Logica had 3-5 years ago.

cheers,

Ken