(keitai-l) Re: International Usage - PHS vs WLAN

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/09/02
hi Benjamin,

(1)
would you check this,

>PHS, too does hand-off up although the maximum speed you can move at while
>a call is in progress is somewhere around 100Km/h (originally it was 40
>Km/h).

the hand-off and coverage I talked from the perspective of mobile
networks.  I know PHS has a simple and working hand-off now, like
you have two phones, dial into the next cell and then cut-off
the previous one, but the design was for voice ...

on hand-off/coverage, as an expert, you should know the PHS/WLAN
have no way but to become a cell phone system to compete with.

do not provide full coverage or hand-off were the design basics
for CT-2 and PHS to save money and provide simple services to
the low-end market.

so that adding hand-off/coverage is the same as concede failure.
PHS was to complement mobile for the poor, but people found out
there is no room even at the low-end.

(2)
PHS did have a good time in the first two years, same as CT-2,
and what are happening in Taiwan and China (history repeats).

in Japan, PHS subscribers climbed to 7.1 mln in autumn 1997,
when many people rushed to shops to buy a mobile phone and some
came out with a PHS.

the numbers have been falling since then to 5.7 mln now, after
people found out PHS is a fake.  traffics have been dropping
more, because people use less and less PHS for voice calls.
(voice constitutes nearly 80% of ARPU for mobile users).

I'd like to stress again that all the good H" or P-in services
we enjoy are based on this huge failure of PHS, that Japanese
government and companies as well as consumers paid dearly ...
a great recycle it is, but I don't think anyone should try to
copy it by generating rubbish first.

cheers,

Ken