(keitai-l) Re: Does Qualcomm's BREW Business Model work????

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/10/02
I also like Java as Sam but looks Brew is working well in Korea.

good or bad, it's much easier to make handsets based on Qualcomm
chips, that Samsung and LG develop many good smart phones at low
cost, a fraction of PDC or GSM smart phones.  so better to just
take what Qualcomm has in the package?

good or bad, it's easier and cheaper to develop software using
Microsoft Visual Studio.

not as KT Freetel which had nothing before Brew, au/KDDI is one
of the early adopters of Java.  I think they are the guys we
should ask why mind Brew when already have Java.

business model, why the question?  Brew apps or ringtones mean
the same - download data - for the operators, and the same -
attractive contents - for 'net service providers.

SKT has a local GVM - SWAP (Sinji wireless application plug-in)
which is quite successful in Korea, mostly for game download.

because it's divided by operators, standards or compatibility,
write-once-run-everywhere, are not issues at the moment.  let's
see if the issues Java addresses become more important later.

cheers,

Ken