(keitai-l) NTT forced to open imode portal - how?

From: <FLEX-MAGAZINE_at_TELDA.NET>
Date: 07/17/02
i had a discussion with a friend the other night
and wanted to clarify a point:

from what i hear, docomo has been forced to
open the imode portal to anyone.
in my understanding, this was to let anybody
OFFER new services in this portal and
therefore be able to charge for them (unlike
outside the portal where this is not possible).
That would mean that companies willing to
offer services still have to place them with all
three mobile providers.

my friend had the standpoint that anybody
could now ACCESS services in the imode
portal, so KDDI and J-Phone are now both
able to offer paid services from the imode
portal to their customers. That would mean
companies offering services would only have
to place them once inside the imode portal
and then the others could access them there.

this doesn't really make sense, or does it?
(but i know some sort of "bootlegging" takes
place where j-sky and/or ezweb users are
able to access uncertified imode services
through some kind of gateway)

please help out some ignorant europeans...  ;)

burkhard