(keitai-l) Re: iAppli as Screensaver?

From: Jason Pollard <jasonpollard_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 07/19/02

> J-Phone "shichoritsu" (standard Java app first avail two years
> ago with J-SH07) is a good example that it counts your phone
> usage at background, and it takes over the screen after a short
> idle time, displaying a 3D dancing girl, who dances differently
> depending on the battery and signal strength.

> think a stock chart/alert fits well into the category, cannot
> be done by a GIF, and will be of great value if the chart of
> your shares be updated constantly on the screen.

This is exactly what the doja2 (i504) machiuke applis do.  Quote grabbers,
scheduling, checking emails would be ideal applications of it.  Although,
constant updates could be prohibitively expensive.

Unfortunately you don't have any java access to the system such as battery
strength or idle time (well, maybe idle time - I'm still not sure - I'm waiting
for a correction to my last post)  There may be device specific features that
you could use to judge idle time, among other things.  Along these lines, does
anybody know of a resource that documents the device specific java features of
the various handsets?

Looking at the doja2 optional docs, there's a
PhoneResource.setStandbyImage(Image) method that looks like it could be used as
a screensaver.  The docs say it's only implemented in the 504_D_ models, tho.

> we may need many "screen-savers", a scheduler is a must, and
> share/coordinate the screen among them, is it possible?

It's not possible to share among apps using the CLDC/doja, unless you maybe go
thru a server.  MIDP Midlets can share a common scratchpad type space, tho I've
forgotten what it's called.