(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone's New Java Platform Could Be Proprietary

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 08/03/02
why the incompatibility has to be at the MIDP level?

(1)
remember more than a year ago, I saw for the first time J-SH07
prototype with the new Java and 3D engine in the Dubliners' pub.
it was so neat and sleek (and I cannot understand why Doja).
J-Phone are the best, rational people of all Japanese operators
and they've been doing a great job.

but don't forget Japanese are one of the worst when it comes to
software.  I'd rather think the Germans will do a better job.

I don't think Vodafone has to worry about the programmers in
Japan (it may include many here on the list, but let's discuss
it rationally than emotionally).

if you need someone who understand Japanese, sending Japanese
to India/China/Europe/the US to assist foreign engineers is by
far an efficient way, like many Japanese companies are doing,
NEC, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, ...

(2)
the question here is, IMHO, how you evaluate the local market
requirements against group-wide standards within Vodafone.
I'm afraid Vodafone has gone too far when enforcing standards.

roaming is really a small problem outside Europe and the US.
if for revenue only, I don't think it's a factor to consider
when you need new (compatible or not) features to compete in
the local market, when standards may more be a rope to bind
the English fleet into a Titanic.

maneuverability or customization is the word.

for similar reasons, centralized procurement may cost you more
- "penny wise, pound foolish".

(*)
I hope Vodafone will think it well and make a good decision
that at least they don't have to change again to yet another
incompatible API.

like it or not, Vodafone, with more than 100 mln proportionate
subscribers, does have the power to say something about Java.

cheers,

Ken