(keitai-l) Re: Instant Messaging and messaging interoperability on wireless webs in Japan

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 09/03/02
how the Jamba users start an IM session (launch the Java app)?
do they have to be notified by SMS in the first place?  or if
you have to leave the Java running in the background, what
mechanism is used to check the new IM messages and what's cost?

1 MB / 140 octets gives 7,142 messages, that's the content.  an
SMS has to be delivered in an envelope that is 10 times larger,
and it involves service operations to/from HLR, too.

>... and, on top of it, the user has to pay the data traffic

that's point.  for J-Phone Tokyo, it's about the same price to
send a message over packet or SMS channels (JPY 3 yen for a 128-
byte message).  the messages will also become larger sent over
HTTP or SMTP.

DoCoMo doesn't have SMS and i-mode mail is one of the poorest
that I know (and they'll never be able to improve it for PDC).
for au/KDDI and J-Phone, there's an SMS sent with every e-mail,
most of the sizes within two SMS's.  nearly all IMs are short
text that can be sent in one SMS, making e-mail purely overhead.

as far as I know, Followap's IM is based on SMS - a simple and
straight forward design.  I don'k know if they also have an IM
solution which doesn't need SMS.

about e-mail, it's part of and can't perform better than MMS.
in the contrary, the wired Internet lacks a standard like SMS
for IM and messaging between applications, which is a problem.

cheers,

Ken