(keitai-l) Re: Advertising of I-mode and sha-mail

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/03/02
Tom,

Regarding promotion of i-mode in the early days the best is you read the
books by Matsunaga and by Natsuno. These are the "bibles".

Regarding promotion of i-mode nothing beats walking down the streets of
any Japanese town these days and keeping your eyes open. You'll see a big
chunk of i-mode promotion, plus another big chunk on TV.

Regarding promotion of sha-mail, the best is againg to walk the streets
of Tokyo or any other Japanese town, and you'll see a big chunk of
sha-mail advertising. Ride the trains, and you'll see some more. Buy a
journal and you'll see even more. Regarding sha-mail itself see:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/shamail/

If you need detailed quantitative "scientific quality" data on advertising
budgets, a full profile of the campaigns etc: we have done such a project
for a major client, who wanted to know the profile of a particular advertisement
campaign in Japan, and we were able to find out many details, such as total
budget, places selected for the promotion, hard copies of all magazine
advertisements, return rates, efficiencies, which media were chosen and
which were not and why etc. Let us know if you want us to such a job.

Don't forget that there is a big "viral" effect: if some of your friends
have sha-mail cameras, then you don't want to be excluded from your friends,
and you'll also buy a sha-mail camera. That's the effect which drove the
growth of the FAX machine market, of hotmail etc.

Hope that helps,

Gerhard Fasol