(keitai-l) Re: Joint development of a new wireless payment standard

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 09/09/02
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/news/content/file_878.html
>
>What will hapen to Bluetooth??

They are talking about comms with a range of up to 20cm.

Seems fairly slow at:
>communication speed up to 212 kbit/s
 (as opposed to 720kbps I have seen quoted for bluetooth)

It seems quite focussed on a particular product area - contactless
smartcards...

>The consumer's primary NFC device (e.g. mobile phone or PDA) acts as a
>smart-key to gain access to chosen services from any NFC device,
>anywhere, anytime.

So, slower, smaller range, not here yet, seems to be based on 1 to 1
communication, a fix for a particular set of problems, not a general
bluetooth replacement.

Nick