(keitai-l) Re: SMS/mobile Internet/TV

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 09/30/02
On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, James Santagata wrote:

> And unlike the hassle and hurdles you have to jump through to get a
> traditional MOTO account, even if you are a big company, you can set
> these accounts up immediately.
> These are more focused
> on person-to-person accounts but also used by small businesses or even
> larger businesses that are new to e-commerce.

There's a reason that a PayPal account is much easier to get than a
credit card merchant account: PayPal dumps the risk on the buyer and
seller. Worse yet, not only do they reserve the right to completely
freeze your account at any time, keeping any money in it, but their
customer support is terrible. They've explicitly stated that their
strategy is to pretty much ignore complaints and hope that those who
have problems will just go away. (They reckon that the cost of providing
support is higher than the cost of just losing the customer.)

I can't imagine any serious business using PayPal, unless they're
blithely unaware of what they're getting into.

> The existence of viable 3rd party payment systems are
> critical to any e-commerce ecosystem....

Indeed; but they already exist: credit cards. But see my previous
message about the problems with payment size here.

cjs