(keitai-l) Re: reading bar codes

From: Paul Hardy <pjh_at_bushcat.com>
Date: 11/19/02
> I have heard that it is possible to read bar codes with a
> phone's camera or
> with the 504's infrared function. Is this true?

The TV adverts show 2D barcodes on New Year cards being read by a phone
camera and being decoded as a note containing a URL.

> if so, firms
> can place bar
> codes next to their product ads in magazines so that users
> can more easily
> access the site

This has been tried lots of times in lots of places. Weren't Radio Shack
giving away some kind of gizmo to do just that about 3 years ago?

My little Vaio "What's 'focus'" webcam came with similar recognition
software a few years back, together with a set of stickers. I was
supposed to stick them to my notebook computer, refrigerator, cat etc.
and the camera could recognise the barcode. So I could reassure myself
from time to time by pointing the camera at various items, confirming
that it was, indeed, my cat sitting on what was still my refrigerator.