(keitai-l) Re: reading bar codes

From: Michael Sydenham <michaelsydenham_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11/21/02
>From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>

>On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Mark Frieser wrote:
>
> > Yes, you can do both. There is software that allows you to read bar
>codes
> > with camera phones and of course the IR on the 504 can read bar codes.
>
>Anybody know anything about APIs for this? Can you access it from Java?
>How about posting to web servers?
>
>If it would become an addition to my collection of bar code readers, I'm
>now getting really tempted to buy a P504iS.

People are starting to talk about barcodes with 504, but I'm wonder how this
could be done.. I don't think barcode reading was the original intention of
504's IR capability. To do barcodes, I think you need to have a light source
enabled together with a sensor enabled to read the reflections. I don't
think you can do both from the 504, unless you provide a separate light
source and turn on the IR sensor. Strong ambient light may be OK if the
sensor is geared to accept it, but I doubt it in this case.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Regards

Michael.