(keitai-l) RE : Re: 3d displays

From: Manu <manu_at_freak404.com>
Date: 11/21/02
Hello,=20
Nice to read informations from inside :)
The situation here in Europe is very different. Operators tried to
launch WAP, but with slow connections (GSM network), closed gateways
(only access to operator portal), high prices and bad/useless services.
The phones were all differents in the way of using it for surfing wap.
Where in Japan internet access were very expensive, here for 50euros
(50$) we are used to have a dsl line with 1 to 3 Mb bandwidth. Belgium
is one the most high bandwidth connected country, with a coverage of 98%
of the kingdom.
Mobile internet was not interesting at this time. And WAP was in the
dustbin..

Now Docomo introduced i-mode in Europe, on GPRS networks ( 4 to 6 x
faster than GSM), an interesting business model for content providers
and operators.
We pay here in Belgium 6 euros ( 6 $) for 20Mb of traffic (including
mails and surf), this price is very low and interesting. The added value
of color phones, polyphonic ringtones, high speed mobile, colorful
mobile internet is obvious for the EU mobile market. WAP1.x is so boring
and expensive to deploy, and chtml is so easy and fast, use common
internet standards.
Now WAP2/xhtml is just on our gates, but WAP sounds in Europe like a
whisper (wap2 had to re-convinced people and IT world).=20

The new MS smartphone also arrive end 2002 in West Europe, and this
product is very attractive, very standard for web pages (uses classic
html). The paneuropean operator Orange is going to sell MS phones in
France, UK, Belgium, etc..

So the struggle is there, and all products have pros and cons. But
i-mode "concept" and the docomo business model is a very attractive and
innovating way of approaching the market in Europe.=20
UMTS is still a dream/nightmare, and nobody is ready here. KPN group
think to improve i-mode to come to an UMTS-like network, but without
rebuilding all the network. (UMTS costs is very dangerous for Europe)

Manu

http://www.i-mood.net=20