(keitai-l) Re: Biometric Chip Costs

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 12/04/02
I agree with Dirk. I recently read a scientific article by a
Japanese researcher about the feasibility to build artifical
"fingers" to fool security devices relying on analyzing
finger prints. Seems to be quite easy, provided you have
the knowledge and some common materials and chemicals
described in this scientific paper (which seeks to prove the
unreliability of such "security" devices).
As is well known in cryptology, there is no such thing as
absolute security.

As everywhere, in the security field also often marketing babble
gets mixed up with scientific facts and logic.

Gerhard

Dirk Rösler wrote:

> The truth is that physical possession of an object (phone, credit
> card...) combined with proven knowledge of a secret value (like a PIN)
> solves most problems today. But that may not be glamorous enough for
> some.
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Read about us in "IBM developerWorks":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html