(keitai-l) Re: Shirinking jar file

From: Colin Mack <colin_at_b-factory.co.jp>
Date: 12/18/02
I'm not familiar with using JBlender to shrink .jar files, so I can't
speak to that.

Most people's first step is to use a Java obfuscator. Are you doing
that yet?

If not I recommend you get one and use it. Obfuscators rename all your
classes, methods & members to 1 or 2 character names so people can't
easily reverse engineer your java programs, but this also has the happy
side effect of reducing the size of your classes, since those names are
all stored in the class files.

I use retroguard (it's free, yeah!). It is a bit of a pain to use,
because retroguard works on completed .jar files, which in turn wrecks
your preverification, which was done on the individual classes before
making the .jar file. So you need to compile, jar the classes, run
retroguard on the jar, split the jar back into classes, preverify the
classes again, make a new jar with the preverified classes. Kind of a
pain but once you put it in a batch file you can just forget about it.
It shrinks the size down a lot for me, but I tend to use super long
variable names because I am old and forgetful :) If you name all your
variables a, b, x,  y, etc., it may not do much for you.

There are lots of other things you can do, depending on how desperate
you are :)

- Colin