(keitai-l) Re: 7.5% of US SMS messages lost...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/18/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Ken Chang wrote:

> DoCoMo's i-mode mail is unique with a single storage, and up to
> 50 messages per mailbox, about 8 days' messages for an average
> user.  new submission will be rejected if the mailbox is full.
> not a big problem for international travels shorter than a week.

And even for longer travels, the bounce message you get is quite
clear about what's happened: the mail has not been delivered because
the mailbox can contain no more than 50 messages, and is full. (This
happened to me whilst I was away over Christmas.)

This is far better than the default SMS situation. I picked up an AT&T
prepaid cellphone in New York, and I never got any notification of
whether my SMS were delivered or not, nor could I see any way to set
up this notification. When I sent an SMS to another phone that was not
equipped to receive it, it just vanished into the ether (but I still got
charged ten cents).

cjs