(keitai-l) Re: Backing up J-phone cellphone data

From: Paul Hardy <pjh_at_bushcat.com>
Date: 03/30/03
> Docomo would not let me keep my old phone, either. They
> insisted on taking it away from me. I really should have made
> a stink about it.

J-Phone simply programmed a bogus phone number into it, so it can't
work, and handed it over to me.

> Oh, joy. Can you at least get the data out and into some
> form, such as CDF files, that you can read without the program?

It supports the ubiquitous vCard format, and can import .csv files, but
handily wrecks them both. Oh, it can download the schedule, but having
exported from Outlook, imported to KTM9, I discover it can't actually
upload to the phone.

> This is the really horrible thing about these sorts of
> proprietary Thdevices. ey hold your data hostage.

Yet strangely, the physical connector is now common to most phones. I'd
appreciate pointers to the open-source software when you come across
them.