(keitai-l) Re: SMAF .MMF Format Tech Specs

From: Paul Lester - Theta <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 04/09/03
    The only place to get this information is from Yamaha as far as I know.
You can't just download it, you need to talk to them directly.  I don't know
if the information you want is available though.

    Sometimes the Japanese version of Yamaha's docs have more
information.  Sometimes the English has more.  You might try the
Japanese version if its out there.

news@alinear.net wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I'm trying to find detailed technical information about Yamaha's SMAF (.MMF) format, and its MA-2/MA-3 chipset.
>
> I've been to all the Yamaha sites (both for SMAF + for the MA-2/MA-3 chips) but the documentation provided is not enough detail for the projects we are working on.
>
> I'm looking for specific information regarding:
>
> The SMAF file format, as related to holding MMF audio for MA2/MA3 chipset devices. The specs on SMAF global do not have any detail beyond the 'containers' which data resides in -- do not have specific information as to how each chunk is structured. We need this to be able to write a custom SMAF exporter from a music editor we currently use which is based around Yamaha OPL2/3 FM+PCM playback. This is much more in-depth than MIDI editing -- we are literally controlling the FM synth parameters from the pattern sequencer more directly, etc.
>
> The MA-2/MA-3 chipset programming information. In particular a register map and each register's information for these chips. The hardware specifications available by yamaha here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/prod/ in relation to MA-2/MA-3 do not have register info -- they seem to focus only on hardware implementation details. In contrast, the MA-1 chipset overview (YMU757B-Q) has the register map/register info. We are looking for this information to see if (for example) it would be possible to write a custom replayer or control aspects of playback from a Java application.
>
> Thanks for any help! Also if anyone has written software dealing with SMAF/MMF format and is interested in working on some projects, please let me know!
>
> Best regards,
> Neil Voss
>
> alinear, LLC
>
> www.alinear.net