(keitai-l) Re: e-plus: Wap2.0 compatible to i-mode!

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 04/09/03
sk@grex.cjb.net wrote:
> [...]
> The e-plus marketing say the Nokia 3650 is an i-mode handset! But
> Nokia itself say it's a Wap2.0 phone:
>[...]
> So i've asked the hotline of e-plus and it IS a Wap2.0 phone but:
> "Wap2.0 is compatible to i-mode!" - I can't belive it!! OK, the
> XHTML of Wap2.0 may have much in commen with cHTML/iHTML but it=B4s
> not the same...
> And the Nokia 3650 don't support all i-mode features like emoticons
> or (i-mode compatible) ringtones or imail(!) - it only supports
> normal email but there is no push-function! And the Java impementation
> isn't i-apply but MIDP 1.0 and there is no i-menu key on the phone...

Out of the box would I tend to agree. As a *POSSIBLE* excuse for them I
can tell you that it appears (from our discussions in a project) to be
no big deal to Nokia to preload a few extra apps with a certain model in
a specific market, so perhaps the idea is the have a few i-mode tailored
Symbian apps in there? (There are for instance homebrewed ringtone
converters out there.)

As a side: There is an odd bug in the 7650 for the Swedish market: If
run with English menues it does not handle daylight savings time with
automatic time update - but it works fine when you switch to Swedish
menues... Didn't go through enough beta testing ;-)

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson |  XMS Penvision  | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809