(keitai-l) Re: SmartPhones will kill consumer PDAs?

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 04/22/03
Giovanni,

I think it's too early to tell to be honest.  Our research here in Japan is
showing that "Convenience" or the simple fact that the MobileNet is
attached to a phone is a very powerful and compelling value
proposition.  There are a number of other drivers of consumer behavior that
we're finding, but the basic fact that the phone is the underlying device
is extremely important to many users.  So because the mobile phone is now a
mandatory part of communication, using its data capabilities creates a very
strong position for Smartphones now and into the future.

However, with 802.11 (mostly g) and all the other competing broadband
wireless technologies that make 3G look incredibly slow, it's very possible
that the PDA or PDA/phone combinations that we're seeing from Palm and many
others will have long term viability as well. Especially in the US and EU
where the stripped down WAP or iMode Internet are still not commanding the
audience that the fixed line (or broadband) Internet are, these devices may
continue to be the method of choice for Internet access.

I think the interesting question to focus on is what is truly driving usage
of these devices, Communication or Data Access...or something else...

Philip