(keitai-l) Re: Is music download over 3G a possible business?

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 04/28/03
Juergen,
I thought the same thing, but I recently got an SH-52, which has a kind
of MP3 playback called 'Secure MP3'. Before I used it, I was seriously
thinking about getting a spare battery, which the charger was
conveniently designed to accommodate. I thought that any phone with a
charger with a space for a spare battery must really suck up batteries.
I was wrong.
I am able to charge the phone on a Friday, listen to music all the way
home to Tochigi, about a two-hour trip, and then all the way back to
Tokyo on Sunday night (same time), and still the phone is only down to 2
bars on the battery indicator. I really don't know how it does that,
since using the built in movie camera or still camera still quickly
deplete the battery, but rather than spending the money on a battery, I
will just buy another 64 mb SD card.
I have to say that I am totally enthralled with having this music player
on my phone. I have wanted an MP3 player for awhile, been too lazy to go
out and get one, and now I get one thrown in with my phone, in addition
to getting a not-too-horrible digital camera and an always-with-me video
camera. The sound is excellent. The one problem with it is that I had to
get a specific software package in order to write the songs to the SD
card, and the 8mb card it came with is too small to store more than two
or three songs on.
If cost were reasonable, like the one dollar per song that one U.S.
legal download service is charging, I think music downloads to mobiles
could be quite popular. The problem is that at current Foma rates, it
would cost about 320 yen per 2 mb song to download, in addition to what
the song itself cost. That is probably too much. At least it is for me,
though since my company pays for the phone, it might be ok, at least
until they figured out how much they could save by turning off the
permissions to do that.
Just my 2.42 yen worth.
-Nik