(keitai-l) Re: SmartPhones will kill consumer PDAs?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 05/03/03
Good question.

The main difference is the full integration between device and the=20
Wireless mobile network services and infrastructure 2g 2.5g or 3g like=20=

GPRS and W-CDMA (Not WI-FI as it still lacks of basic services for a=20
real mobile network)  that today Pocket PC and Palm OS (and probably=20
still SmartPhone) are not yet capable.

So is not a matter of hardware and software features but a matter of=20
real integration.
There is a huge difference between a m-services enabled SmartPhone and=20=

a PDA with wireless connection and some voice call functionalities.

Under the interface point of view Symbian defines 3 different class of=20=

mobile-network enabled devices:

- advanced mobile phones with main input from keypad
- pen-based mobile phones in tablet form factor
- keyboard-based mobile phones with large screens

http://www.symbian.com/technology/devices.html

So when I am talking about PDAs I am thinking about devices that are=20
not deeply integrated with a mobile network.

So PDA should be pen-based