(keitai-l) Re: SMS and URLs

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 05/09/03
Hi Juergen,

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll be more careful in my messages from now
on.  As you mentioned, I was thinking about the messaging aspect and not
the technological aspect of SMS vs. email.  But again, point well taken.

What I was referring to with Push vs. Pull was the recent education I've
received from students in my Mobile Marketing class on Xavel.com and their
Girlswalker magazine.  If I understand this correctly, their email magazine
goes out (pulled due to registration, not a blanket push to the unkown
masses), but then user comments are added (increasing the relevance and
communication capabilities) and passed on, with ads being attached to those
comments (with the authors being compensated for those placements).  So
their magazine gets more relevant to their subscribers, allowing them to
remain in the pull position while their subscribers become the ones that
puch (pushers?).  Conversational content to the nth degree, while
maintaining their position as enables, not spammers.

Now if I understand what you're telling me correctly, you're saying that
KDDI and J-Phone didn't originally allow for spam and iMode did, and then
changed when DoCoMo started making so much money off of this?  Maybe we
should move this conversation offline, but if this is really true, that's
fascinating.  If I've missed the point here as well, please help me to
understand this a little better.

As I understand it, with corporate sponsored SMS (aside from the Spam),
users again request that information gets sent (like inputting a code from
a fan magazine, or from a coffee can).  In my opinion, that's still
ultimately a Pull strategy, allowing the user to determine if they are
truly interested in getting the complete message delivered to them.  Any
arguments with this are again welcome though...

But in reading your email (and now re-reading Jeffs), it may be that I'm on
my Marketing podium while you guys are discussing technology.

Just when I thought it was safe to stop lurking....  :-)

--Philip