(keitai-l) Re: Earthquake Noopie for your Keitai...

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 05/12/03
> I went up to Kobe taking food after the Hanshin Biggie a few years ago,
> and it is well known that many who died ("poor Japanese" was the euphemism
> of choice - although everyone knew what was meant)
> died of fire after the electricity was switched back on several hours
> after the quake...

This is a good one...I believe that pretty much everybody in Japan
is clueless if a big quake strikes. But at least Tokyo Hands is fast
in reacting after quakes and put survival kits prominent on display.

Maybe we add some instructions to our alerts?

> Does your service give national coverage?

Yep. You can define a big city near you and the radius of reports.
I for example look for [Tokyo], a radius of [200km] and a magnitude
starting from [4,5].

Nooper is powered by UPS's, Diesel Generators and sits in a
"earthquake save" datacenter (at least this is what they claim). And
Keitai are battery powered (if you don't play too much i-appli). But
if you don't receive any alert after you felt a big quake, don't blame
us...maybe our servers went down the crack into the core of the earth.

Timothy wrote:
> How about a Noopie for radiation.
> Earthquake noopie is VERY cool, but I already have it from;;;
> The subscription form for this service is located at:
> http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/data_services/data_services.html

This service is sometimes a bit off, a bit delayed or not working too
well for this part of the world. We observe them for a long time
already. That's unfortunate.

> Earthquakes are a bit hard to escape, and easy to identify... However if you
> had a radiation noopie that could tell me the levels around Tokyo I would
> clip that sucker on my belt.
> I would love to know when I am being poisoned by reactor leaks.

:)

All we can offer is an UV alert to avoid getting skin cancer. But
radiation leaks...this is the best covered information in Japan. You
would hate our service if it would send you every 2 minutes a warning.

Dirk wrote:
> Incidentally, I got two slightly differing alerts on the one last night=20=
> (0:57). Does it mean it was a double-whopper or is this a correction or=20=
> whatever?

Seems you have a good sleep...we had 2 big earthquakes tonite only
minutes apart.

> Also the Japanese seem to be interested in a measure apart from=20
> magnitude ("degree of shaking"... scale 1-6), any idea what it is and=20
> can it be included?

The Japanese measurement depends on when they get all the feedback
from different humans at different locations and is normally more
delayed than our alert.

It's possible, but we decided for a more "immediate" feedback in a
short, easy to consummate and disposable matter (to fulfill user
expectations who have short attention spans).

> Also can you send them out in advance please, J=FCrgen .. err, never =
> mind=20

We work on this one ;)

> Or a SARS Noopie... send out an alert for Shinjuku and enjoy a quiet
> shopping day :)
> Seriously, I briefly saw the headline somewhere "mobile phones used to
> send SARS alerts" in HK or whatever. Some guy makes money by sending
> these alerts out. I don't know whether they reported because they
> thought it is a really good idea or a really stupid idea...

I saw some implementation details about it, but it sounded more like a
marketing idea than something really useful. At least they got a big
media coverage.

Not all kind of alerts make sense, but sometimes a good story.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp