(keitai-l) Re: (keitai) Closing Walled Gardens and Java vs. NativeApplications - Examples

From: Johan Bengtsson <johan_at_doberman.se>
Date: 05/13/03
Every Swedish GSM operator have blocked SMS messages that originated
from the ICQ network. Although you'll be free to install the software
below in your phone, you will not be able to send messages to Swedish
GSM users.

If this software gets widespread, I believe operators in other countries
will follow.

/Johan

http://www.ximplify.com/nokia-3650-symbian-main.htm

SeleQ  gives you greater control over your phone=92s
internal resources. Organise & manage your files, open
images, capture screen shots and turn your phone into a
music player.

You can also set Operator Logo, copy Inbox attachments
and view animated GIFs. It also has Text Editor as well
as Advanced Search functions

Basically you can access and copy any content stored on your phone...

---

All these 3 applications are developed
and distributed in an independent way.

The first one goes against the operator interest.
The second and the third have been developed
in C++.

The first and the third could never pass an
operator approval in JP...

I know that they are not impressive innovative
applications yet, but it just an example how a free
mobile software market is developing in EU
with special attention to the interest of the user.

I see this as other examples as juts the beginning...

Giovanni=

This mail was sent to address johan@doberman.se